As you enter the kitchen, it might be the cabinetry or a striking wall color that first catches your eye. However, as time is spent here – and most of us are frequently in the kitchen – it is the countertops that become the focal point.
We prepare food and use small appliances on them, clean their surfaces, and arrange cookbooks, canisters and assorted other items on our countertops. Because of their importance in kitchen design, right kitchen countertops will provide you with the good looks and practical benefits you desire.
Which Countertop Material is Right for You?
This question is properly answered through getting to know your options, and you’re in the right place to do just that. Our countertops guides provide kitchen countertop pros and cons for each type along with their cost as you research and compare what is available. Read our full Countertop Buying Guide for a general overview of how to choose your kitchen countertop.
Kitchen Countertop Materials
You’ve got a wide variety of natural and manmade countertop materials to consider. Here is an overview of countertops with links to where you can learn all the details about each one.
- Granite Countertops: An elegant selection for any home, granite countertops are durable, heat resistant and gorgeous!
- Quartz Countertops: Also known as engineered stone countertops, they’re a good-looking option offering a range of colors, easy cleanup and excellent durability.
- Laminate Countertops: This affordable material is popular for the many color and pattern choices available along with a non-porous surface that resists stains and won’t harbor bacteria.
- Marble Countertops: There are few options more beautiful than marble, and newer marble countertops require less TLC than those of previous generations.
- Tile Countertops: With a range of available tile sizes, shapes and styles, you can create exactly the look you want with a long-lasting tile countertop.
- Wood Kitchen Countertops: Natural wood offers warmth and comfort, and wood countertop styles are made to complement design schemes ranging from country to contemporary and much in between.
- Recycled Glass Countertops: An ecofriendly choice that cleans up quickly and resists heat, recycled glass countertops are created in a dazzling array of interesting styles and colors.
- Solid Surface Countertops: Available in many attractive colors and tones, solid surface countertops are softer than stone and are easy to care for.
- Stainless Steel Countertops: This classic choice remains fresh because of its many aesthetic and practical qualities.
- Porcelain Countertops: Gleaming and bright in a spectrum of colors and looks, porcelain countertop advantages begin with heat resistance, durability and a non-porous surface that doesn’t require sealing.
- Resin Countertops: The looks available in resin are beautiful and diverse, while the practical pros include resistance to stain and heat and low maintenance.
- Butcher Block Countertops: These handsome countertops have stood the test of time with their warmth and varied styles.
- Concrete Countertops: Techniques for pigmenting, staining and polishing the material allow crafters to create concrete countertops with stunning good looks to go with excellent durability.
- Lava Countertops: A combination of style choices and practical advantages has made lava countertops a popular though pricey option.
- Reclaimed Wood Countertops: This trending material delivers rich beauty filled with character, and each reclaimed wood countertop is a unique creation.
Enjoy browsing our kitchen countertop pages to learn about and compare countertop materials for your kitchen remodel.