How much does it cost to refinish kitchen cabinets? This guide looks specifically at the prices. For comprehensive refinishing information, see our Cabinet Refinishing Guide.
The Cost to Refinish Kitchen Cabinets
The materials and supplies required might include wood stripper, solvent-based cleaner, sandpaper, sanding blocks or discs, wood filler, putty knife, stain brush, staining pad, stain, sealer or a stain/sealer combination product.
Our price below includes the cost of these materials but not the cost of a power tool such as an orbital sander that can make the job go more quickly than hand sanding.
- Materials: $5-$8 per linear foot
- Labor: $12-$25 per linear foot
Factors that Affect the Cost of Cabinet Refinishing
You can eliminate labor costs by doing the work yourself, and our Cabinet Refinishing Guide provides an overview of the process to help you decide if it’s a job you want to tackle.
Additional factors that will raise or lower the cost of refinishing kitchen cabinets are:
- The condition of the cabinets: The worse shape they’re in, the more labor will go into making them look great again
- The complexity of the cabinets: Plain cabinets with flat doors and no crown molding cost less to refinish than elaborate cabinets and trim
- The time of year: The time to get the lowest estimates is the winter season after the holidays
Cabinet Refinishing Costs FAQ
These questions and answers dig deeper into this topic.
How does the cost of refinishing compare with refacing and replacing kitchen cabinet prices?
It’s quite cost-effective, as this list shows:
- Cabinet Refinishing: $17-$33 per linear foot
- Cabinet refacing: $40-$150 per linear foot
- Cabinet Replacement: $20-$700+ per linear foot, with an average for good-quality cabinets of about $300 per linear foot
Who should I call for cabinet refinishing estimates?
Painting contractors typically handle cabinet refinishing.
How can I get the lowest estimates on cabinet refinishing?
Get written estimates from at least three local painting contractors or kitchen remodeling contractors. Let them know they’re competing for the work, and they’ll supply you with the lowest bids they can.
Using the service offered on this page is a convenient, hassle-free way to get multiple estimates for the work. Fill out one quick form to receive at least three competitive estimates from kitchen cabinet refinishers who have been pre-screened for experience and quality workmanship.