How much do plastic laminate countertops cost? Here’s the basic information. For pricing information on an entire kitchen makeover, see our comprehensive Kitchen Remodeling Cost guide.
Laminate Countertop Prices
You’ll discover a wide range of plastic laminate kitchen counter prices:
- Laminate countertop cost: $10 to $50 per square foot
With that range in mind, most laminate countertop material costs $24 to $36 per square foot.
Factors Affecting the Cost of Laminate Kitchen Countertops
These reasons account for the differences in pricing:
- Better grades of laminate – usually thicker and more durable – cost more
- Product lines change, so you can find clearance and closeout lines at the lower end of the price spectrum
- Premium colors cost more to make, so the price of the laminate is higher
- The cost of living in your area might affect prices
The Cost of Removing Old Countertops
Removing existing countertops is quite easy for two people. In the Laminate Countertop Removal and Installation Guide, you’ll find information on how to do the work. If you pay to have it done:
- Countertop removal cost: $1 to $3 per square foot
Plastic Laminate Countertop Installation Costs
Laminate installation costs are similar to those for most materials.
- Laminate countertops installation cost: $7 to $12 per square foot
Here are the factors affecting what you’ll pay to have your plastic laminate kitchen counters installed:
- Countertops with more complex design, more cutouts and more angles cost more to install than simple designs
- The price of labor goes up from handymen to countertop contractors to contractors supplied by a general contractor
- If plumbing, electrical or structural repairs are needed during installation, the price will be significantly higher
- If you seek estimates from at least three contractors that know they’re competing, you’ll probably pay less for installation than if you get only one bid
An Overview of Laminate Countertop Costs
The following table provides a quick overview of laminate countertop material, installation and removal cost. Costs are shown per square foot.
Table 1: Cost of Laminate Countertops: A Comparison at a Glance
|Type of Countertop||Material Cost (sq. ft.)||Installation Cost (sq. ft.)||Removal Cost (sq. ft.)||Total Cost (sq. ft.)|
|Laminate||$10-$50||$7 to $12||$1 to $3||$41 to $168|
Laminate Countertops Pricing FAQ
This laminate kitchen countertop cost Q&A covers important aspects of cost.
Is trying to save money by hiring a handyman rather than a countertop expert a good idea?
Maybe, but maybe not. If the handyman has good experience installing laminate counters, you might get a lower price and a professional job. However, if the job doesn’t go well, and you have to hire a pro to fix it, you might spend more in the end. The key is to find an experienced installer. You tend to get what you pay for with countertop installation.
Why do countertop contractors charge more than handymen?
First, they’re experts in what they do. Their expertise often includes being trained in the factories of some of the major laminate manufacturers that want to ensure their products are properly installed.
Secondly, contractors are usually licensed and insured. They may be bonded too. All of these measures protect you as the consumer. They are costly to the contractor, so their prices are higher. Handymen may not take these expensive precautions to protect you.
How can I get the lowest estimates from countertop contractors?
Get several estimates from companies that know they’re competing for your business. The service we offer on this page is a quick, no-hassle way to get multiple estimates. The contractors are local to you, and they are pre-screened for experience. There is no cost to you, and you’re not obligated to take any of the estimates.
Related Content in this Series
View other guides in this series which you may find useful.